This Curried Pumpkin Coconut Soup is ultimately my absolute most favourite of soups.I know I probably say that about most of the soups on my Soup Series but this is hands down on the top of the list.
I came across this Curried Pumpkin Coconut Soup when I worked in an office building with the most awesome coffee shop downstairs.In Winter this was my lunch every single day and I didn’t mind one bit because I loved it so much.I had totally forgotten about this amazing soup until my neighbor walked in with this giant pumpkin in her hands , there was a special at Food Lovers Market R 30.00 for two pumpkins so she spoiled us with one.FYI she loved the Curried Pumpkin soup I made with the pumpkin she bought.
Ingredients for curried pumpkin coconut soup:
- ½ a Pumpkin
- x1 Onion
- x2 Tsp of crushed garlic
- x1 tsb of grated ginger
- x1 tsp of curry powder
- ½ a can of Coconut Milk
- 1 x sachet of Vegetable Stock
- Pumpkin Seeds – Optional
- Peel and chop the pumpkin into smaller pieces (remove all seeds)
- Steam or roast the pumpkin until soft / cooked
- Prepare stock
- In a medium size saucepan drizzle some oli oil and add the chopped onion and crushed garlic,cook until soft
- When pumpkin is ready add to your saucepan ,sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper – lower heat
- Add in the grated ginger and stir
- Add in the curry powder and stock (remember to prepare stock before hand) allow ingredients to cook , at this stage you can start to smell the amazing aroma permeating from your kitchen, cook for 15 minutes and stir from time to time.
- Remove from heat and liquidize (I use an immersion blender so everything remains in the pot) the soup
- Add in the Coconut Milk and stir – return to heat (low) for 5 minutes
- Serve – you can sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top or drizzle a little more coconut milk
Let me know if you give it a try.I know its my family’s favourite at the moment as we slowly creep into the colder months and with these grey clouds and spontaneous rain its just the perfect weather for soup.
If you enjoying soups this season be sure to visit the rest of the soups and their recipes on the Soup Series